Hospital of St. Jerome
viale Varese, via Borsieri 2
The hospital was founded by Bishop of Como Bonifacio da Modena in 1349. His job was to create a nursing home for the poor and pilgrims; later the bishop gave the church and the hospice to the Servants of Mary, who managed them until the 17th century. After abolition of the Order in 1788, the convent was privatized and became a tavern since 1799. The complex was completely demolished in 1963.
What documents tell us…
From the epigraph once placed on the façade of the church, 1349
1349. Bonifacio da Modena, graduated in both laws and bishop of Como founded and had this hospital built. The building, devoted to St. Jerome, is popularly called Domus Dei and it is the home of the poor and pilgrims. In case the hospital is being outraged, people who commit this will be excommunicated by the bishop unless they pay compensation for their bad behaviour; moreover, he will give a forty day indulgence to those who will visit the hospital.
Main photo. Foundation epigraph, 1349 (thanks to Musei Civici di Como, Pinacoteca Civica, sez. Medievale)
Below. Lombard painter, Sheltering the Strangers, 15th century (Mandello del Lario, St. George’s church)
Como, Exterior of Basilica del Crocifisso, 18th – 19th century